Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Only Half the Picture



Zanele Muholi is a South African photographer whose work I find really interesting. I love some of the colors she uses, and the perspectives... plus she was also educated at the Market Photo Workshop, where I did a tiny photography course once, so I'm a bit biased in her favour.



Her work explores the black lesbian scene in SA, and what it means live as a black lesbian in SA. The controversy of some her images are mentioned in write-ups on her, but I find the tenderness of her images to be what is really worth noting.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is the Nan Goldin of our times. She deserves better in a country where lesbians are still bashed and even murdered. The perpetrators don't really care about the Constitution they practise what is called 'curative rape' - teaching black lesbian to become really 'black women'