Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cape Town & Design*Sponge

If you read design*sponge, you will know they just published their first book, and a newspaper, and just about everyone is writing about it.

Grace Bonney
, the blogger behind design*sponge, recently wrote about the design capitals of the world in the UK's Town and Country House magazine. She had this to say about Cape Town:

I've been dying to visit Cape Town since I first started my blog back in 2004. So many of the designers here are inspired and formed by landscapes and cultural traditions that are so different from my own that their work has an almost mystical quality for me. Textile designers and ceramicists here are working in rich, earthy palettes that are such a refreshing contrast to what I typically see in New York. A lot of the exciting restaurants and cafes in Cape Town are working with local artists to create site-specific installations that really celebrate and combine the creative communities in a great way. I love when a city can band together and connect creative people in different disciplines in a way that lets the local community really shine. I also love that many of the local designers here are focusing on using recycled materials and making them a big part of their work process.


Her suggestions for shopping in Cape Town are Abode



Bird's Boutique Cafe



Clarke's Bookshop



Lim




I thought that was very nice! But if she hasn't been, then who is really making the recommendations?

No comments: