Monday, January 28, 2013

Speaking of Lions

Did you know that the number of lion in Africa has halved in the passed 20 years? I had no idea. 10 years ago, there were 200,000 lion in the wild - today, less than 25 000. And when you compare that to the number of rhino, which is an endangered species, there are fewer lion as there are over 26 000 rhino.

I read this startling fact on a great website, Getaway. It covers all angles on travel and wildlife in South Africa, so if you're interested, click here.   


I've come across some other interesting online reading focusing on Africa, if you're interested in more.

Here's a great news/ opinion/ magazine of sorts - Afritorial. They always have interesting stuff from all over the continent. My current favourite article is about the female mayor of Marrakech. Gosh, give me a couple years and a couple kids and I could be her.


Last but not least is Ranger Diaries - written by game rangers (you know, the guys who take you out on game drives), which is endlessly fascinating if you're in any way interesting in African wildlife. The joy of the website is that you get to enjoy the thrill of an African safari without leaving your desk (check out the latest report from the bush!)... although I doubt you could continually read it and not eventually simply get on a plane and get yourself out there to experience itself!


A special mention is the current featured game ranger - a friend of my brother's, Gavin. Looking good! Gavin operates a superb operation called Mammoth Safaris. I would give me eye teeth for a chance to go birding with Gavin - his experience is unparalleled. So if anyone reading this is looking for one of the best safari experiences in Africa, be sure to click here.



I'm going to add these links to my blogroll - they continue to update their websites with really interesting reads, so check them out!


No comments: